Day 1

Woke up with a headache this morning. Probably too much red wine again. Plus the neighbours were at it again. I mean, if they're not killing each other then they are destroying the bed springs and my beauty sleep. Me, I'm single, living in a crummy flat overlooking the canal. I got nobody, no money, nothing.

There I go again, dark thoughts. I should be grateful to even have a place at all. Those poor bastards under the bridge are lucky if they even wake up in the morning. If it's not the cold, it's the guy who fancied your shoes. I was lucky to find this place. I heard from a mate that there was a squatting opportunity. A room with a view as it were. Funny guy.

I should do something useful today. The dishes need doing, but then they did last week too so that could wait I suppose. Maybe I'll visit Joe. We could play cards if he's well enough. That cough has been getting worse but he won't go to the hospital, old fool. "Death trap", says he.

Really miss the kids today. I know I walked out on them and Fiona but it was all too much - working long hours, Fiona nagging me about everything, never satisfied. Then there was the drink. I never could handle it, but I got no self-discipline. I wonder how they are. Does Jojo have a boy friend yet? She's such a tom-boy. Liesel on the other hand doesn't have any problems in that department. What a beauty. Reminds me a lot of Fiona when we were younger; dark and fiery.

There's that cat again, mewing at the window. How does it get up this high? Must have fled from the neighbours again. Think I'll give it some milk.

God, my head hurts.